Sunday 17 February 2013

Wedding Dress: Ta Dah (Part One)

I had been given Mum's Wedding Dress at the end of last year.  Mum is trying to 'get her house in order'.  The dress has, of course, been stored for a number of years.  I was asked to produce her a pillow, and then my instructions were to produced 'something' with the rest of the fabric!!!


 


 
I started by deciding on a rough pattern - ended up drawing to scale as I didn't want to waste any of the dress fabric in case I cut it wrong.


Cutting the gold and burgundy fabric for the pillow - I made the decision it was really time to get rid of some of my smaller scraps - I have actually made several quilts from this set of fabric so actually have scraps coming our of my ears.  


The small 1 1/2" squares made very good use of some of the small scraps....I laid out the pattern on top of the dress to ensure the gold and burgundy would look OK on the wedding fabric.  Very happy with it all, the cutting proceeded.



Chain piecing....


Laying my seams flat.....


The wedding fabric proved very difficult in deed.  The fabric was stretchy, and it frayed like I've never had fabric fray before......

I managed to get the top something like.... I did find, the more I handled the fabric the more it frayed so I tried to move very quickly.


Layered and quilted, it did become a bit more stable but stilled frayed.... by this stage I had lost most of my 1/4" seam around the edge!  I am actually very happy with the result....just don't look inside!!!


Ta Dah.....



Editors Note: Cushion presented to Mum on her 70th Birthday yesterday. And she loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment